List: Where Moore County residents can find hot meals, water, showers
Posted December 6, 2022 9:05 a.m. EST
Updated December 9, 2022 8:30 a.m. EST
Updated Wednesday, Dec. 7: Local businesses and groups are teaming up to help tens of thousands of Duke Energy customers left without power for days after an attack on Moore County's power grid.
The list below was compiled by The Sway, a Moore County news resource, and social media posts.
Duke Energy expects power will be restored by 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday.
If you want to help, please donate to the American Red Cross.
Hot meals and free food
Aberdeen First Baptist Church will offer a hot lunch to all. Lunch will be served from 12 to 2 p.m.
- First Baptist Church, 200 E New York Ave, Southern Pines: Free meals Dec. 7 from three food trucks: Curbside Cravin's, Yummy Hibachi and Taqueria El Refugio from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Christ Community Church, 220 Campground Road, West End
- Moore County Sports Complex, 155 Hillcrest Park Lane, Carthage will offer meals until Thursday
- Morganton Sports Complex, 100 Fire Lane, Southern Pines will offer meals until Thursday
- Southern Pines Fire Station 82, 7850 N.C. Highway 22, Carthage
- Former Aberdeen Elementary School, 503 North Sandhills Blvd., Aberdeen will not be serving meals Thursday
- Pine Scone Cafe, 905 Linden Road, Pinehurst
- Red's Corner, 901 SW Broad St., Southern Pines
- Embers BBQ, 130 SW Broad St., Southern Pines
- Limitless Meal Supply, 105 Monroe St., Carthage: Free coffee and pancakes
- Swank Coffee Shoppe, 232 NW Broad St., Southern Pines: Free coffee - bring your own mug
- Grace Church, 1519 Luther Way, Southern Pines
Shelter, showers, laundry
- First Baptist Church of Southern Pines, corner of East New York Avenue and Ashe Street. Showers from 8:15 a.m. to 7 p.m. and one free laundry load per family.
- The Moore County Sports Complex, 155 Hillcrest Park Lane, Carthage, is serving as a 24/7 emergency shelter until noon Thursay. Hours of operation for showers are 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- New Covenant Fellowship in Carthage has a full kitchen offered to the community, as well as heat, showers and WiFi.
- Cypress Pointe Fire and Rescue is providing hot showers as well as hot chocolate, charging stations, warm clothing and blankets.
- Sandhills Baptist Association, 5254 U.S. 15-501, Carthage
- First Baptist Church of Aberdeen, 700 N. Sandhills Blvd., Aberdeen: Showers and laundry will be available until noon Thursday
- First Baptist Church of Pinehurst, 7373 N.C. 211, West End: Showers and laundry available until noon Thursday
- Conference Disaster Ministries has set up a shower trailer at the Pinebluff Fire Department, 110 North Pecan St., Pinebluff.
- Conference Disaster Ministries has set up a laundry trailer at Vass United Methodist Church, 121 North Alma St., Vass.
Charging stations and WiFi
- Pinehurst Fire Station 91 offers free charging stations between 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Roseland United Methodist Church,181 Rose Ridge Road, Aberdeen, has charging stations and free coffee.
- The Michael C. Haney Community Room and the lobby at the Southern Pines Police Department has charging stations, WiFi and heat 24/7.
- Solar-powered generators have been placed in the parking lots of the United Methodist Church in Vass (113 Alma St.) and Southern Pines (175 Midland Road) to act as charging stations.
Moore County Public Schools closing
Due to the ongoing widespread power outage all Moore County public schools will be closed on Wednesday and Thursday. It will be announced Thursday by 4 p.m. whether schools will also be closed on Friday.
Schools will be closed to all staff on Wednesday. It will be announced Wednesday by 4 p.m. whether schools will be closed to staff on Thursday.